How to prepare this recipe
Don’t be intimidated by oven roast. It couldn’t be easier! There are just a few tricks to getting that buttery, melt-in-your-mouth roast beef you love.
|Prep time||Cook Time||Rest Time||Total Time|
|10 min||180 min||15 min||205 min|
The BEST Oven Roast Beef is tender, flavorful and perfect every time! Sunday roast has been a tradition in our family for years. We hope you love this classic recipe as much as we do.
How Do You Cook a Roast in the Oven?
Don’t be intimidated by oven roast. It couldn’t be easier! There are just a few tricks to getting that buttery, melt-in-your-mouth roast beef you love:
- Bring the meat to room temperature. Take it out of the fridge and let it relax a little before roasting.
- Start with the right pan or pot. A heavy duty roasting pan or a Dutch oven works best. It needs to be able to transfer from stove top to oven.
- Sear that meat! Using hot oil, sear all sides of your roast until there’s a nice brown crust. This step will ensure all those delicious juices stay locked in and give it a gorgeous color.
- For tantalizing fall-apart meat remember these two words: LOW and SLOW. Simmering at a lower heat for a longer period of time will give even tougher types of meat that tender texture your family will die over!
- Make sure your meat never roasts dry. Keep it covered in its natural juices and beef broth for maximum juicy tenderness.
How Long Does it Take to Cook a Roast Beef in the Oven?
Depending on the size of roast, plan to keep that meat snug in the oven for at least three hours (remember low and slooooow) for a three pound roast. Then add about an hour per extra pound on top of that.
But even better than watching a clock is using a meat thermometer. Oven roast is ready when it’s 180 degrees inside, or when it easily pulls apart with a fork.
Which Roast Beef Cut is Best for an Oven Roast?
Choosing a cut of meat can seem confusing, but it doesn’t have to be. With the low and slow method, most any cut can be roasted to tender perfection. But here are a few options to look for at the grocery store:
- Rump Roast
- Chuck Shoulder Pot Roast
- Rib Roast
- Ribeye Roast
- Tenderloin Roast
- Top Sirloin Steak
- Tri-Tip Roast
- Round Tip Roast
- Bottom Round Roast
- Eye Round Steak
Remove beef from refrigerator and let to come to room-temperature, will be around 35-50 min.
Preheat oven to 150 °C (300 °F).
Generously rub all sides of beef with salt and pepper.
In a heavy roasting pan melt the butter over medium-high heat.
Place the beef in to the pan and sear on all sides for about one minute per side. The beef needs to be brown all over.
Sprinkle the chopped onion over the beef and then pour the beef broth inside of the roasting pan.
Cover the pan with lid, or alufoil, and roast in the oven for 3 hours or until beef is fall-apart tender.
Count with 40-60 minutes per half kg. Keep cheking every hour.
Allow roast beef to rest at list 10-15 minutes covered, before slicing.
Can be served with mash potato, vegetables, or any other side dish.